Archive for February, 2011

Interface Design

February 16, 2011

The drop-down menu is completely functional and with the code generally under control I have shifted to designing the layout. I have changed the colour palette and worked with navigation. Next I will have to consider how the quiz aspect of the project will work. Here are some screenshots.


Milestone Review

February 9, 2011

With the project being reviewed today, I thought it would be helpful to take a look at my initial timeline and see how many of my goals I have accomplished. Some of the things I initially had planned are no longer applicable as ideas have evolved and changed. These are indicated on the list in red. Highlighted in green are the components of the project already completed and everything on the list that is not highlight has yet to be accomplished. I’ve also added “New Items” to display some other tasks that have been occupying my time which were not on the initial list.

Looking at the list, I had pleased to have completed some of the more difficult tasks. Everything left is quite manageable and I feel that I can complete most of the remaining tasks in less than the estimated time allocations. Also, it helps knowing I have enough code figured out to get a working database at this point. I’m still pushing to learn all the user-input so the experience will be more engaging and interactive.

Drop-down Menu Rethink

February 4, 2011

I have been working with the coding aspect and I have managed to get a working counter, it’s the part of the code that determines if the question has been answered correctly. If the correct question is chosen, 1 point is added to the counter, if there are 5 labels on a page, the program would look for 5 point to proceed to the “you win” screen, if the number is less than that, it would show you the correct answers.

This is working great but now I’m having trouble with the drop-down menu, I have been thinking about taking an alternative route and creating the menu visually rather than through code. It should work the same way and be even more customizable.

That would mean the code I really need to learn is the “make movieclip appear” and “make movieclip disappear”. This would allow me to display different things without having to move to another frame on the timeline. I would be working with layers instead of keyframes. I’ve never done this before but it seems to work in my head, plus it would be really great to have a working prototype for my upcoming project evaluation.